If I could only use one word to describe today’s recipe it would be YUM! I think everyone will enjoy this delicious dessert for sure and certain 🙂 You can find this recipe plus many more in my book Plain & Simple Traditions: Amish & Mennonite Holidays which is now available.
• 1 pie shell
• 1 cup molasses (mild)
• ¾ cup hot water
• ¾ teaspoon baking soda
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 cup sugar, brown
• ¼ cup shortening
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl combine molasses, hot water, and baking soda. Stir well.
3. Whisk in beaten egg.
4. Pour mixture into 9-inch pie shell.
5. In a medium bowl combine flour and brown sugar.
6. Mix well, then cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
7. Sprinkle on top of molasses layer.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
9. Lower temperature to 350 degrees F.
10. Bake for an additional 30 minutes.