This recipe is taken from my upcoming book – Plain & Simple Traditions: Amish & Mennonite Holidays.
Perfect for a cold night!
- 2 lbs beef (cubed OR uncooked mini-meatballs)
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 carrots, cleaned and diced
- 2 celery, cleaned sliced
- 3 onions, chopped (can use pearl onions)
- 4 tomatoes, diced (can be canned)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce if you don’t have it)*
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (for serving)
- Optional spices:
*Another substitute for soy sauce or Worchester sauce: Several drops of Tabasco sauce mixed with a quarter of a teaspoon of sugar.*
1.Combine all ingredients in a large pot (or a slow cooker)
2. Stir to combine ingredients
3. Cook on low for 5-6 hours, without stirring.
4. Add parsley just before serving.