When I was growing up, every family gathering included tables of food: pickled cabbage, chow chow, applesauce, mashed potatoes (no meal was complete without mashed potatoes), meatloaf or ham, and German potato salad.
My mother makes a mean potato salad, one of the best on the planet (yes! I have tasted ALL German potato salad and can attest to her being the best). She puts on her apron and peels those potatoes, blending the spices and making certain the dish is garnished just right!
So, as Spring is finally here, I thought I would share this recipe with you. Mayhaps you will include it in your picnics and family gatherings, too!
8 Yukon gold potatoes
4 hard-cooked eggs
1 finely chopped onion
2 small carrots (grated)
1 celery (diced)
1.5 tsp salt
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon flour
1.5 cups water
2 tablespoons butter
Extra: 2 tablespoons minced chives, for garnish (or parsley)
- Cook potatoes. When cool, peel.
- Dice potatoes eggs, onion, and celery. Mix with carrots.
- Mix all of the ingredients for dressing except butter.
- Melt butter and add to dressing last.
- Cook dressing until thick and pour over potato mixture.